Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Random thanks

Many people are scurrying around getting ready for Thanksgiving. Kitchens are filled with the scent of freshly baked bread, chocolate-chip cookies and pumpkin pies.

Me? I'm stuck in my house. Smelling regular air. Wearing an old pair of glasses with a prescription from 1999. Wah, wah, wahhhhhh.

Turns out wearing a torn contact lens can scratch your eye. Well gee. And putting off getting a new pair of glasses to save money? Not the best idea.

Needless to say, I'm thankful for contact lenses. And sometimes life gives you a reason to realize you've been taking them for granted.



And while I'm having a pitty party, you know what else I was taking for granted? The lovely trees that surrounded our apartment complex. I'm thankful for trees.

It's hard for me to even remember what it looked like just a few short days ago. Lush, green, comforting, peaceful.
Previous view
And this is what it looks like today.
Barren. Empty. Sad. Exposed.

View today

Our new apartment owner came in and chopped 10 beautiful trees down. All over the property. With no explanation. Ripping away our beauty and comfort, protection and privacy. Leaving us all feeling exposed, violated and unsettled. The warmth of our surroundings has diminished dramatically.

Poor giant beautiful tree. What did she ever do to deserve that?


And they even chopped down the lovely little tree perched just outside our kitchen window. Where will the squirrels play?
{And the Grinch grabbed the tree, and he started to shove When he heard a small sound like the coo of a dove. He turned around fast, and he saw a small Who! Little Cindy-Lou Who, who was not more than two. 
 The Grinch had been caught by this little Who daughter Who'd got out of bed for a cup of cold water. She stared at the Grinch and said, "Santy Claus, why, "Why are you taking our Christmas tree? WHY?"} [How The Grinch Stole Christmas]


But enough with the grinchy stuff.

The most important things I try not to take for granted are, after all, the things that really matter.

7 years ago Sunday, my sweetheart proposed.
I'm so grateful for a wonderful, loving and supportive husband. He's such a good man. I'm so lucky.


And I'm so grateful for my amazing family. Each one of them brings so much to my life. 



So I guess a day stuck at home bumping into walls with my old worn out glasses isn't so bad. :) It's all about perspective right?

A very Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 
Hope you're surrounded by those you love.

{eyeglasses image credit}


Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

3 comments:

  1. Yep. It's all about perspective! Perhaps your landlord chopped down all the trees so he wouldn't have to rake up the leaves ~ that's what my dad wanted to do, until I reminded him that trees actually save energy, keeping his house cool in the summer and giving us shade for our family cook-outs. Yes, trees are a good thing! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thing happen to me last year! My dog had eaten my sunglasses (seriously) and I never got around to replacing them. Then I came down with an eye infection and guess who had to sit at home completely blind for 2 days while the new glasses came in? I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the contacts and the trees. I get furious when I see big trees get cut down!
    Beautiful pictures of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips