Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shabby ruffled muslin pillow

Making this shabby ruffled pillow has been one of my favorite projects. I still have a hard time keeping my eyes off of it or my hands from running over the textured ruffles. I know, it's a little obsessive.


The idea originated from Kelly and Olive: ideas you should steal, but I modified mine a bit and decided to go for a slightly more whimsical look, and hand ruffle it.

This particular design was made with bleached muslin and has raw ruffled edges. It will fray a little bit, but I love it's shabby appeal.

This particular pillow I just sewed shut, but have since found a fabulous tutorial from Sparkle Power for making removable pillow covers, (I'll show you one below).







Another technique I decided to try with this same design, was cutting the ruffle edges with a pinking blade.

It gave it a slightly different look.


And here is it's removable back. I love the clean lines.


Pillows are such a fun way to bring a pop of color or texture to any room. Just ask Nate Berkus! haha I think he says that in almost every episode.


Linked to:





Creations by Kara



Hump Day link
Fancy This

Show and Tell Green

8 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful pillow! I keep wanting to make one, so I appreciate your instructions! That will be next on my crafting to-do list! :)

    -Marissa @ homesweethomebodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE that pillow!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit my goal of 50 links, so be sure to come back next week cuz I'm having a giveaway!!!!! Thanks for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did wonderfully! If I could narrow down my choices, I'd love to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this pillow! And so easy it seems! We would love for you to link it up tomorrow! http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I wish so badly I could sew! I have one pillow on my living room couch and it looks silly. Saw you on Fancy Fridays. I'm a new follower.

    www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fancy !!! I love the simplicity!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come check out your feature on Truly Lovely this afternoon! :) We've featured your awesome little pillow! And don't forget to grab the featured button for your blog!!! Hope to see you again and again!!! http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh my bedroom needs one! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips